Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fun with fleur-de-lis

I'm always drawn to the fleur-de-lis symbol; I know it has been used to represent many things (check out a brief history here) but I just like the vintage, elegant feel of it. This one in particular is from the Lock & Key set.

On this first card, I started by stamping the image repeatedly onto plain ol' white copy paper then clear embossing. I spritzed it with glimmer mists (pink taffy, honey dew, and patina) and blotted off the excess. I know you can't really tell from the picture, but it has a beautiful sheen in person. Mat it with white, add a simple "thanks" (Combo Sentiments), attach some hardware and ribbon, then glue it all to a pre-made card and you're good to go!

I decided to take a simple, almost severe approach on this card, and I think it would be a great birthday card for a guy - and absolutely perfect if he happened to be a boy scout :) I stamped onto some embroidery fabric with brilliance ink, then mounted it to black cardstock with brads, then added some brown cardstock before attaching to a green card base. Super simple, but quite elegant.

I'll be back later this week with a couple ideas for the other images in the set!

2 comments:

Carolyn Bounds said...

Both of your cards are very elegant!!! I love 'em:o)

Hugs!
Carolyn

Hazel said...

Haven't visited your blog for a while - lovely work here - these are so classy - and I love the 'kindness' one below.