Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tea & Cookies

Time for another tea party with the smART Cookies! This week was my turn to host, and I kept the sketch pretty simple.
I had a couple ideas in mind when I actually sat down to create. First of all, I knew I wanted to make a Valentine's Day card for my honey. I know it's shocking, but I'm actually planning ahead! I had some epoxy stickers that I've been kicking around since last year, and I thought I'd pair it up with a crown. BTW, did you know that smARTworks has some really cool embellishments for sale? Yep, there's more than just rubber there! Anyhoo, I played around with that idea a bit. Ended up layering it onto a white square with 2 corners rounded, then layering that onto black with the opposing 2 corners rounded. Kind of a fun effect! The black layer along the side has text (Vert. Love Comes) stamped in gold. I layered some sheer ribbon over that, and then the final touch was the sentiment (Combo Sentiments). It's much nicer looking in real life - I photographed this card about 20 times and just can't get it to come through (just picture sophisticated gold against the rich black and pomegranate papers, and a non-fuzzy word!)

I decided to switch things up a bit for the second card, and turned the sketch on its side. I pulled a few papers from my BasicGrey 2 Scoops pad and let those dictate the colors. I stamped the flowers (Sunny Delight) with watercolor crayons onto watercolor paper. I then spritzed that panel with gold and latte glimmer mists. It really shimmers now, and reminds me of a fresco. I went back over the leaves with my wc crayons just to add a bit of definition, then trimmed it down, punched the corners, and matted it. I stamped the sentiment (Flowers Everywhere), and then just glued everything together. I accented it with some very pretty yellow/white ribbon (from Oriental Trading), and mounted the floral panel on pop-up glue dots just to give it a bit more dimension.

Wow, I was really chatty today! Congratulations for making it this far :) We'd love to have you join us - just use this sketch to create a card of your own, and leave a comment so we can all enjoy it! And be sure to check out what everyone else has cooked up:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job by the hostess! I like each card equally. Your Valentine is simple and clever - I like the round/square corner mixing, and the floral is so pretty and cheery. Your ribbon selection is perfect.

Donna said...

Trish, I agree with Susan. Both are so different, both are beautiful, and I like them both equally. Thanks for a great sketch to work with!

Jacki Marie said...

I love how you alternated the corners. I don't think I noticed that the other day. Very clever! Both cards are great! This must be the year for planning ahead. I did my hubby's card already too.