Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The cabinets are in!!!!!!!

Still not complete by any means, but we're making serious progress!! We should be getting the countertop later this week; that will be 7 foot long so that there will be "open" space for me to work, and the existing shelves that you see in the lower right will be turned against the wall. I have a large rolling Iris cart that will end up living between the bookshelf and the cabinet, and can easily be rolled out of the way if needed. You can also see a bit of my large bookshelf. My hubby built these when we moved into the house, and they go all the way to the ceiling. Of course they were originally for all my books, but those have had to make way for my new passion :) My boxed SU sets and books/magazines are on there, and I'll be doing some serious purging so will end up with even more space available. I'm so stinkin' excited!! I need to do some touch-up painting, cover the shelves and drawers with Contact paper, and then mount the doors and hardware. We're also going to put some open shelves in the space between the upper cabinets, so will have somewhere to display my finished pretties! And lastly, I'll be stowing my seemingly endless stash of alterables (tins, picture frames, bottles, etc) on the top of the cupboards. My hubby thinks I'm crazy and wanted to mount them flush with the ceiling, but I wanted to be able to reach into the cabinets easily (I'm only 5'4"), and really trying to maximize the space.

Any other ideas? Would love to hear your input!

3 comments:

Heather Grow said...

Cool. I love seeing the process. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sharon in NE said...

This is looking great! I definitely like your idea of having the cupboards low enough to be useable...(that silly man-dh )...and then you can still use the space above the cupboards for alterables. Great idea. This is going to be so wonderful.

Classroomfree said...

Oooh, looks like things are all coming together nicely, can't wait to see the finished result :o)