Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Inspiring Tea Party

Well, this week it was my turn to host the smART Cookie Tea Party. I debated what to do, and finally decided to make it an Inspiration Challenge based on this painting. I really liked the colors as well as the blocked layout, and I thought it would be fun to see how each person interpreted it.

I used both the colors and general layout on this card. I started by blocking off the background and applying ink directly to the white paper. I then overstamped the flowers (Vert Love Comes) and the word (bonus rubber). I also added just a bit of detailing between the red and green panels (Accents #1). I colored the flower with Prismacolor pencils, and then grunged up the card with some brown ink. (Card is 4 1/4" square)

Well, that was all I was planning to do. But then I saw this post about making layered flowers, and I just had to try it for myself.

So last night while watching NCIS (finally a new episode!!) I repeatedly stamped the script (One Smile) onto plain white copy paper. I then cut out some random wavy things that vaguely resemble circles and inked up the edges. Layered them together and added a button (which was plain white cloth covered, so I inked it up). Quite pretty! I layered that over gold ribbon, white cardstock, and a burgundy card base so I was at least in the neighborhood of the painting's colors. I added the sentiment (Bluebird), but it still needed a little something more so I made some simple leaves. I love the flower, and will definitely be making more in the future. It does take just a bit of time, but doesn't require much concentration so it's a good TV watching activity :)

So would you like to see what the other cookies have done? Check out Mama Dini's Stamperia, Dee's Studio, SusieStampALot & Sweet Somethings!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

How pretty! I love both of your takes on this piece! Thanks for the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Your two cards are so different from one another, yet the influence of the original can be seen in each one... Very cool!

Sharon in NE said...

Both good cards, but the flower, as inspired by Vicki Chrisman, just icing on the cake.

Sarosa said...

What an awesome challenge, Trish! That was really creative thinking! I'm going to have to try to do this one...

Sarosa said...

Trish, thanks for the encouragement! I decided to go ahead and cut it down to A2 size to put with my store cards. I didn't bother posting a pic as all I did was cut it down and use an inverse corner punch and attach the copper brads on the brown. I hope you continue putting unique challenges up, those are my favorite!